Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween

I've been warned by all the neighbors that the influx of trick or treaters here in the Medfield area will be enormous. After walking the dog this morning, I went to the store to buy more candy on top of what we have in stash currently. I also got in the spirit yesterday by carving out a pumpkin - although I'm not too happy with the final outcome. Practice is needed. :)

Here's a piece titled Ryder's House (1933) by Edward Hopper. I came across this in the DC National Portrait Gallery. Hopper is one of my favorites, and seeing this in the museum was a treat to eyes. The flat and planar shapes create a simplicity that enhance the color such as the earth toned oranges of the chimney and base of the house. But the way he applied the paint in thick, confident strokes can only be felt and seen by actually going to the museum. Hoppers subject matter and the themes I'm currently exploring are similiar.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home