Thursday, October 19, 2006

Portraits and other stuff

I'm currently taking a "painting in a series" class at MICA (Maryland Institute and College of Art. It's nice to be back in a classroom setting where you can engage and share your work with other artists on a weekly basis. This Tuesday is a big critique and I'll be able to show 2 new paintings.

If you are feeling digitally creative on your computer check out ARTPad on Art.com


Last weekend Helen and I had a chance to check out the National Portrait Gallery in Washington DC. My main focus was to see the contest winners from 2006 Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition. I would have to say the competition's body of work was outstanding, but it was apparent the juror(s) focused on photorealism paintings completed in the medium of oil on linen. For the most part I agreed with the winners including David Lenz "Sam and the Perfect World" which featured his son, an open field, an attention captivating eclispe in the upper left of the piece. Another memborable piece was a nude portrait by an artist of his parents together called Mom and Dad. The medium of choice was a Lite Brite display. Remember Lite Brite as a child?

Finally here is a study of a painting I'm really excited about. the feeling and confidence of being potentially a great painting is there, but I'm almost afraid to start the canvas out of fear of screwing it up. The professor in my class positively commented about this study.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home