Thursday, July 27, 2006

I'm a news addict



So I was able to step out a bit this weekend and attend the 25th annual Artscape featuring local Baltimore and east coast regional artists. One artist Michelle Davis Petelinz captured my attention with her masks within shadow boxes. I collect masks, and one of her creations would fit perfect into my collection. She is on my "must have" list.


I've been able to work on some small painting studies. I alw
ays love the looseness and freedom of mark on the 4 x 6 thumbnails. I always don't carry over the looseness into the larger pieces, but at least I have begun to create quite a few these smaller thumbnails that I need to organize into a cohesive sequence.



I cannot help be captivated by what is unfolding in the mideast. The irony and hipocrosy on both sides reveal a side of human nature that remain fixed. One side calls the other terrorists, the other zionists, and violence seems to be the only expression of communication. It saddens me when I see images on Kevin Sites Blog , pay close attention to the striking image of the woman covered in dust and soot, that reaffirms my opinion of violence only begets violence. Even when we call on Iran and Syria to stop funding Hezbollah (whose members have representation in democraticly ELECTED Government), we continue to fund Israel with millions of dollars and the latest technology to create images of civilian destruction. This idea of "raining" down missiles on innocent cities in Israel by Hezbollah is highly inappropriate and needs some form of response. I'm just not confident that Isreal, despite its claim to "as precise as possible" is not being reckless. The UN tragedy yesterday didn't help matters. Read this here.

But hey some of the Christian fundamentalists that preach the fear of the end times and second coming of Christ point to these events as validations. Perhaps. I've read enough within the chapters of Revelations to find the text used as tool by many Christians to press conversion.

I think I'm watching too much news. Back to painting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Okay, so I'm new to 'Googling' my own name (where have I been? in the studio, of course!)...I just found your 2006 entry after your visit to my booth at Artscape! I invite you to visit my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15042085@N02/ to see my newest pieces. I'm on Etsy, too, if you'd still like to own a piece: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5054052, though only one shadowbox is there.
Thanks, rather belatedly, but better late than never?! for the compliments and the mention on your blog.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home