Sunday, September 24, 2006

A series in work


I'm posting two more studies of soon to be paintings. They're not perfect by any means, but at least they give me an idea of value contrasts and overall feel of the final piece. I'm currently taking a painting in a series class at Mica(Maryland Institute of Art) and my professor commented about how interesting it would be to see these thumbnail studies all at once.

That made me think. It's not always about the finished art piece, but what is more important is how an artist gets there. Looking at sketchbook doodles, notes or scribbles on paper is sometimes more interesting than a finished painting. Through these notes and doodles, you gain greater insight on the artist. I have to admit, I feel a little uncomfortable sharing my sketchbook, b/c when I look at the drawings I feel they are not that good. But I do understand that art is often a process and these dreadful little drawings are a step toward the finished piece and are an equal part of the painting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home