Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Daily Thumbnails

As a landscape painter while working outside, it is often encouraged to take the time to complete a short thumbnail or sketches prior to making marks on the canvas.  In Edgar Payne's book titled "Composition of Outdoor Painting", he has many pages that are thumbnails referencing types of named compositions. I am going out and completing a thumbnail each morning during my dogwalk and often and see the compositions Payne names in his book. It takes few extra minutes but I m see the value in this exercise.  It develops a keen eye for spotting painting subjects within your own neighborhood, and fits some mental exercise. As a dad with kids, I'm learning to fit in draw time with sketching at a moments notice or at times that are available. I'll be posting everyday for 30 days my results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home