Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Practice with Blind contour drawings




I've been reading "The Natural Way to Draw" by Nicolaides. The book is designed for both beginner and advanced drawing student or artist. A painter can never have enough drawing practice and this book is something I'm working on in between naps with Baby C. The first exercises "blind contour" is done by looking at the subject, finding and following the edge of the form by drawing slowly and meticulously with your drawing instrument. This is all done mind you WITHOUT looking a the paper. You gain a sensitivity to the edges of form while sharpening observation skills.

When I look at my work I'm fascinated with the varience and quality of line. Sure it may appear crude or childlike but the marks alone become a sensitive and interesting marks of expressions. I've joked by showing these to a few relatives stating, "Hey look what baby C" drew today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home