Friday, June 19, 2009

Keep it simple


about 5" x 7" acrylic on canvas paper
$80 to purchase, email jjwoodee@gmail.com
Paypal accepted







When I first started painting still lifes, my tendency was to grab as many unusual objects and cram them into a composition(the canvas). Take this example:






Each object in a still life is an actor in a play. Now that I look at this piece,the objects are competing. They could be supporting each other in more pleasing aesthetic way. One artist's feedback at acritique mentioned how the piece as being a bit busy. He was right.

Our culture says if you have a space, fill it with as stuff much as possible. Billboards, plates of food, sodas, and items your house are a few examples . Fill, fill, fill. I raise my hand in guilt. But is more better?

My latest painting features a more simplistic approach featuring 3 main elements. A dark background a daisy flower and bottle. Also, dont forget the highlight. The bottle cap is a supporting actor or faithful sidekick.

It's a struggle to think simplisticly in an ever busier world. I hope this work offers a bit of tranquility or reminder to slow down and think - it's good for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home