Sunday, January 01, 2006

Another year gone by and it's that part of the year we reflect for a moment and what we did or didn't do - or we just remain silent and dumbfounded when the question is asked - What are your New Year's Resolutions?

The one resolution I want to fulfill is to author in concept a sort of retrospective of the last 10 years of my paintings. It may be a daunting task - but I've always been up for a challenge and it will be fun to see what I've done within a decade. We'll see. I'm not that famous yet that I have anyone knocking on my door wanting to do my retrospective. :)

Most memorable news event from this year has been the New Orleans Hurricane Katrina disaster. Not only was it painful to see at a human level, but the response (which undoubtedly difficult under any administration) was appallingly poor. I cannot forget the some of the expressions on individuals faces trapped at the superdome pleading for help and water.


In 2006, Helen and I will find out where we will be for the next four years and we are also planning trip to Peru and Bolivia for month. More interestingly, Helen's father plans on taking us to a journey to his birthplace in a rural village within the state of Cuzco in Peru. I have a DV camcorder and plan on documenting the experience.

I leave this blog post with a wonderful painting titled "Seizure of the Inca Of Peru" by John Everett Millais 1845. After reading the wonderful book "History and Conquest of Peru" by William Prescott, this painting takes on greater meaning and understanding for me. This painting by Millais "Seizure of the Inca" is on the cover of the book. In summary, the Spanish came and plundered not conquered. Their never ending thirst for gold came at the explotation of the natives, and the Conquistadors justified their wrongful actions by using the cloak of Christianity.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

How are you?

So, you are going to be leaving Seattle?!

Good luck and blessings in everything for you:)

Do you know how I can add and rss feed for your journal into my lj friends list? i saw someone else add rss feeds to thier friends list, so i know it can be done..

12:57 PM  
Blogger jjwoodee said...

Hey Sharla,

I'm doing well - busy with life and art. :) There's a strong chance we'll end up in Baltimore. We'll find out March 16th.

The RSS feed is something I have to configure on my journal with blogger.com. I'll let you know when this is available.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home