Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Adventures in one year of Landscape painting Part 1

It’s funny how a click of a mouse can change your life. There in my Amazon shopping cart was an easel. But I was hesitant.  At 40, I was experiencing a midlife crisis of sorts. Do I get a brand new red sports car or a tattoo? Nah, I decide to get a used French easel, and focus a year of my life on landscape painting. As an artist, I needed a new challenge and a way to weave more creative time in my busy life.
Painting outside in the elements would be intriguing; it would grant a brief escape from my responsibilities as a stay-at-home dad. While being at home with two kids under four and another on the way is a rigorous job, it’s fulfilling in ways I cannot measure. There are days you can do no wrong in your child’s eyes, and other days where peanut butter applied the wrong way to a sandwich will spark an ugly tantrum. But as an artist, I still felt driven to make progress in both painting and parenting skills.    

Maiden Voyage with the New Easel

I loaded my gear including a packed lunch from home and arrived at the waterfront park in the Canton area of Baltimore.  I planted my easel on an elevated spot and began to study the harbor.  Two men behind me were casting fishing lines along the edge of the harbor firmly holding onto their bottle-necked beverages, wrapped in wrinkled brown paper bags. On a nearby bench, a homeless person muttered senseless political commentary. The repeating calls of fussing seagulls could be heard in the distance.  I was in good company.

I reached for my brushes, canvas, and palette along with medium and turpentine thinner. By now there were a few curious onlookers making comments, "Hey are you going to make a painting?"- "Are you an artist?  - You must be really good, man. "

The scene before me contained many blues and ultramarine was a logical color choice. The first step was to mix a color string of differing ultramarine values.  I applied my paint but struggled to capture the shimmer of the water and it’s the reflections. It felt like a mess.

By now my stomach was grumbling so I pulled out my lunch. I took a bite into my sandwich, plotting my next move on the canvas. Suddenly I felt my sandwich being yanked out of my grasp by a 45 lb., American Labrador.  Within seconds the dog swallowed my sandwich and nearly toppled over my easel while sniffing for more. The owner, nervously offering smiles and apologies, corralled her dog on the leash and walked away. 

Once I got over the initial shock, I became annoyed.  What nerve of the dog owner to have her dog off leash, and let it to steal the lunch of a starving artist.  Starving, well that’s a little dramatic. I had water so at least I wouldn’t die of thirst. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home